Thursday 2 January 2014

End of a Journey...

“For everything in this journey of life we are on, there is a right wing and a left wing: for the wing of love there is anger; for the wing of destiny there is fear; for the wing of pain there is healing; for the wing of hurt there is forgiveness; for the wing of pride there is humility; for the wing of giving there is taking; for the wing of tears there is joy; for the wing of rejection there is acceptance; for the wing of judgment there is grace; for the wing of honor there is shame; for the wing of letting go there is the wing of keeping. We can only fly with two wings and two wings can only stay in the air if there is a balance. Two beautiful wings is perfection. There is a generation of people who idealize perfection as the existence of only one of these wings every time. But I see that a bird with one wing is imperfect. An angel with one wing is imperfect. A butterfly with one wing is dead. So this generation of people strive to always cut off the other wing in the hopes of embodying their ideal of perfection, and in doing so, have created a crippled race.”
C. JoyBell C.




An end to a wonderful journey! I have submitted my resignation and this will be my very last month in Dubai, working as Cabin Crew for the best Airline in the World.
 
 
It was a challenge, it was happiness, excitement, sadness, hard work, stubbornness, lonely, blissful but most importantly: it was worth it!
In this year and a bit I have found myself, I have grown into a mature woman and now I know what I truly want in life - therefor I have to say good bye to this journey so that I can begin a new one - one that I have wanted forever, even more so than being Cabin Crew and that is to be a wife and ultimately a mother.
 
 
I want to thank each and everyone of you who have taken the time to read and follow my blog - I hope it was valuable and interesting in so many different ways! I hope it inspired you to also follow your dreams and I wish you all the luck in applying for the job! Just believe in yourself and go get it! Nothing comes easy in life, it takes dedication and lots of hard work and even tears.
 
 
I had the opportunity to fly to 28 different cities! I met people from all over the world, and yes it was magical but yet, it's not as glamorous as it seems ;)
 
 
I will keep on updating the blog as I go on... I don't know when I will actually stop blogging, only time will tell but for now, I hope you will still continue to read whenever I do write a blog :)
 
 
May you all have a super 2014 and I believe it's going to be one of the best years!
 
 
Much love x0x


 

18 comments:

  1. thank you Maryke for all the time u took to write those words..it really inspires me to follow my dream either
    i won't give up, and i will certainly fulfill it one day : becoming a cabin crew for emirates :)

    you have seen 28 cities around the world in 1 year, you have met so many people from different countries and cultural background..you are ending that adventure to start a new one..
    i wish you all the best and...just keep discovering ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 Always follow your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best for you! I worked for EK too and left Sarab before your arrive. I didn't recall how beautiful is my country, and my family ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maryke, I have been following your blog since the beginning of my application and it has been so inspiring! I finally joined EK on the 20th of Dec!! Thank you for the awesome blog! I guess I wont get the opportunity to fly with you as cabin crew, but maybe you will be a passenger on one of my future flights,hehe.
    Good luck with your last month and all the best for your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle,

      Thank you for your message :) I am very glad to hear you made it into the EK family!!! I wish you all the very best and happiness with this new career and may you be very happy! I am sure the training is keeping you busy, but embrace it and I know you will make the most of every minute!

      Lots of love xxx

      Delete
  5. I read your blogs & I must say, it was like reading an amazing book with its introduction, middle, and beautiful ending. I truly wish you the best of luck with being a mother & wife! I was second guessing myself thinking if I should even bother putting in an application with such an amazing company, as Emirates is about to have an open house 3 hours away from where I currently live. Reading your amazing experiences and the "behind the curtain" events that have occurred to you, has made me decide to take a step into Emirates, what will soon hopefully be my future. I cannot thank you enough for sharing a little bit of your life with us & may your new journey bring you many more memories to come! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanny!

      Thank you for reading my blog :) Yes, you must apply when they are having the open day.... I wish you all the luck and let me know what happens - it will be a while but still, I would like to know if you got in!

      Much love xxx

      Delete
  6. all the best for you....tomorrow i will go for the open day. wish me luck... and i get more by reading your blog and it really useful... thank you and have a blast journey...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question… in researching the process to become cabin crew for Emirates, it says that in the paperwork you need to turn in, you have to submit photocopies of your immediate family’s passports and parents’ birth certificates. Is this true? What if you cannot produce that documentation? Are you no longer qualifies to fly for Emirates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there! If you don't have the copies at this very moment then you don't need to submit it to them. You have up to 3 months to supply them with the copies once you have joined Emirates...You can just inform them via email and tell them that you will get the copies to them at the soonest

      Delete
  8. Hi Maryke, I wish you all the best in your next journey in your life!! I had followed your blog many months before I went to open day and just dreaming about it. Now I'm in Dubai and flying for 4 months, unbelievable :)). Thank you for everything, your blog, sharing experiences and you taught me how to follow my dreams! Don't stop writing blog, it would be interesting read your posts from your life in SA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stan K!

      Wow that is unbelievable!! Congrats on joining the EK family and I really hope you will be very happy and successful in this career! Dubai and the job is what YOU make of it really! Thank you for reading my blog and for the kind words, I will definitely continue writing my blog :) all the best and happy flying xxx

      Delete
  9. Wow I just love your blog. I just found it hours ago and started reading from the start and just finished reading every article. It's the middle of the night here now haha. I decided to go to an Open Day in February and just try my luck :)

    But I do have a question for the recruitment: how to they think about dyed hair? I'm a dark haired girl but I highlighted all my hair so it's practically blonde now. Is this allowed or do they prefer your natural hair color?

    Thank you for your lovely blog, I've learnt so much from you already :). Wish you all the best in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am happy to hear my blog has inspired so many people just like me to apply for the job and to follow their dreams!!

      Emirates prefer your natural hair color, however, as long as the highlights look "natural" then it shouldn't be a problem and if they do have a problem with it, they might ask you to change it back to your natural hair color.... but this is not to say it will be the case :) give it a go and see what happens... I wish you all the best for the open day in February xxx

      Delete
    2. Hey Phyl!
      I been working five years in The Middle East for Etihad and Gulf Air. All of the Middle Eastern companies are very strict on the grooming. "Natural hair" is what they want. But for me, a ratty colored girl I always used to do blonde highlights but had to constantly keep up with the hairdresser to stay out of trouble from anal CMs or CS! :D

      Love your blog Maryke! Best of luck for the future!

      I also got a blog about my life in the Middle East, if you check out "Cabin crew stuff" you will see all the oldy goldy days as crew!
      http://sunnysandy.se

      Delete
  10. Hey ! I just read all your blog in literally 3 hours time ! so inspiring ! Im joining Emirates on 21st March ! I wuold like to ask , how did u manage to break the contract , as far as i know , there is 3 years contract ... Did u need to pay any money ( if yes , how much was the penalty) , because u wanted to leave earlier ? Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! Congrats on the new job with Emirates, I am sure you are looking forward to your new life! With regards to the contract, you can end the contract at any time. I didn't have to pay any penalties. The only time you will be required to pay penalties is if you decide to resign within your probation period (first 6 months) Hope this helps! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete