Saturday 5 October 2013

"Flight Attendants never die"; dealing with Jet Lag, & coping with home sickness.

So there is this saying:







This saying - I can definitely relate to!!! Truly, we are like freaken robots, or like the energizer bunny: just keep going without ever burning out (although we probably do, but we can't show it whilst being on the aircraft)

Seriously, I didn't know a person could be this strong, determined and always manage to push forward. Believe me, most days I just want to crawl up into a ball and be left the hell alone. I get so tired of dealing with different people from all over the world on a daily basis - it changes you as a human being. I suppose if "It's for the better or worst", that is entirely up to the individual.

I am back from my little vacation (you all know I went home) - sometimes I get tired of traveling to different places, so it makes sense for me to go home and relax with my family and my pups. Nothing in the world can even come close! It's funny how you take small things for granted, and once you leave your little circle of comfort, only then do you realize how important it actually is and how close it is to your heart.
That being said, I had a lovely time back home, I wish I didn't have to come back! For real, the more I go home, the more I wish I could just stay there and not come back. It's like living 2 separate lives!!

BUT, I know I can't just stay - life is waiting for me in Dubai. And, I know that next year I will be back home permanently and you know what?! Then I will also miss this lifestyle and all the benefits. So for now, even though days are up and down like a yo-yo, I just have to remain strong and keep going. Nothing more, nothing less. At the end of the day I am only human and yes, I am a very emotional person, so for that reason I need to push myself a bit harder.



I came back from Manchester this morning, got into bed at around 2:30am and only slept for about 5 hours. I am so sleepy, but I have to make the most of the day otherwise I will end up sleeping until 11am then I won't sleep tonight. This is the joy of having to deal with "jetlag" - boy oh boy I don't think we can ever master it.... every other crew I talk with, have huge problems with their sleeping patterns. Many of them can't even go to sleep when they return from a flight at 7am in the morning. So luckily for me, when I am exhausted I sleep, even if it is just for 4-5 hours.

On a different note, here is my lineup for October:

1. Manchester
2. Lagos
3. Lagos
4. Hong Kong
5. Manila

I must say, I am not too thrilled about the roster, I want to try swap my Hong Kong and Manila for something else (might not be so easy) and I have Lagos back to back. It's not an easy flight and the destination is bad. But, the money on those two trips will make it worth my time.

Happy thought: I go home again on the 31st of Oct for my fiancé's stepbrother's wedding - it will only be for 6 days but it's still something amazing to look forward to :)

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to read my blog, it means the world to me - the blog has reached almost 70 000 hits #Very happy!!!!

x0x




 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maryke,
    I've been following your blog via RSS feeds since I first considered applying for a cabin crew position with Emirates. I live in Lagos and despite your apprehension I'm pleased to read that you have Lagos on your October roaster. If you'd like to meet you can sound me out on email. Whatever you decide, I'll be looking forward to reading about your Lagos experience when you get around to it.
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roberta,

    Thank you for reading my blog and for your comment. Glad to hear you are thinking of joining the Emirates family, you should really try, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and there are many wonderful benefits!

    I have been to Lagos before, so this will be my 2nd and 3rd time to visit. We are however advised not to leave the hotel as it's not safe. I don't mind it too much as the hotel is really nice with great facilities so I will probably just end up chilling and the money there is good :)

    Hope to hear that you will try get in with Emirates in the near future x

    ReplyDelete