Tuesday 21 May 2013

Down with the Flu :(

Yup, it's that time of the year when the seasons change and people get sick. I have been healthy up until now, and after being in Dubai for exactly 6 months, I get the flu!
 
 
I came back from my flight to Birmingham on Wednesday morning, slept after the flight and when I woke up, I could feel my throat is sore. I immediately took some flu meds which I bought while I was back in SA (As the pharmacies in Dubai don't sell it at all) and took it easy for the rest of the day.
 
By Friday I was still sick and it was just getting worse. I then had to call in sick for my flight to Glasgow (was actually looking forward to go) for the first time. I felt bad, but I knew that going on a flight will just worsen the situation. Crew Control then put me on home standby for Saturday night and yes you guessed it: I got called out for a flight departing at 03:30am to India. Only a turnaround but still, 4 hours and 3.5 hours flight back. Overall a 9hour duty+
 
Thought I was going to faint when they told me at the briefing that I have been pulled out as a Gr1 (meaning Business class crew) I mean come on, I have only just been flying for 4 months and now they want to put me in Business class which I know nothing about. It was probably one of the worst flights, I was sick, the sfs kept on pushing me and overall it was too stressful for me to cope with at that stage.
 
It was a great opportunity, however I think I would have dealt with it better if I wasn't sick. I should have just called in sick for my standby but I didn't want to get into trouble as I had a meeting with my manager set up on the Monday.
 
Went to the doctor yesterday, was told I can't fly until at least Thursday and I have my flight to Johannesburg SA on Friday morning. Now I just hope these meds will start to work so that I can fly home :)
My mother is flying to Dubai this afternoon to see my graduation which will be tomorrow. I am not particularly looking forward to tomorrow as it will be a super long day....
 
But, on the bright side, after tomorrow, I have my wings :) Probation period is over, and now I can start to breathe a bit!
 
 




3 comments:

  1. Hi Maryke,
    I have a doubt i like to ask. If you work at emirates as cabin crew ande if you are married, even if your husband doesn't work for them, the company allows him to liv with you on the apartments they provide?

    Thankyou very much, and luck:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there,

    Yes, you can be married if you work for Emirates. They pay you a live-out allowance if you are married and you and your husband can use that money to rent an apartment in Dubai

    Hope this helps
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks.. yes, it helps... Tanks... Now i just have to try my luck at the open day...:-)

      Delete